Great riders aren't born. They're made.
Learn to ride - Or ride better - The H-D® way.
If you’re ready to experience the unique thrill of riding your own motorcycle for the first time, there’s no better place to learn than the New Rider Course at Harley-Davidson™ Riding Academy. Experienced riders, take your skills to the next level with the Skilled Rider Course. Available only at Authorized H-D® Dealerships.
New Rider Course What to expect
When you take a New Rider Course at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Get in-class and on-range instruction from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
- Earn an MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card, which may (varies by state) exempt you from the riding portion of your license exam and score you a discount on motorcycle insurance.
New rider course FAQs
What will I need to register?
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
Do I need any special gear?
You'll need to bring the following:
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
3-Wheel Course What to expect
The 3-Wheel New Rider Course is an entry-level, learn-to-ride 3-wheel motorcycle training and education course taught by MSF and Harley-Davidson Riding Academy Certified Coaches. Total course time is approximately 18-20 hours, including classroom instruction, riding exercises on a practice track, and a knowledge and skill test.
What should I wear?
Gloves and a helmet are the only essential motorcycle specific items, but we recommend that sometime before the first night of class, take what you have to the dealer to get it checked out. They can help you ensure that you have the right equipment.
CLASS GEAR LIST
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long pants (heavy denim or riding pants recommended)
- Over-the-ankle boots (sturdy, not canvas, low heel)
- Eye protection (helmet visor, eye glasses, sun glasses, goggles acceptable)
- Full-finger gloves (motorcycle specific recommended)
- DOT-certified helmet style based on the requirements of your state
What do I need to bring?
- Any street-ready 3-wheel motorcycle. We do NOT provide the 3-wheel motorcycle
- Valid Driver's License
- Valid motorcycle endorsement- Class "M" or Class "MP"
- Proof of valid registration to YOUR VEHICLE
- Proof of valid motorcycle insurance for YOUR VEHICLE
- A DOT approved helmet
- Protective eyewear
- A heavy long-sleeve shirt and/or jacket
- Leather pants, chaps over jeans or jeans - NO HOLES
- Full-fingered gloves
- Over-the ankle, sturdy footwear like motorcycle riding/hiking boots - NO TENNIS SHOES